Team Lai

Monday, July 16, 2007

Back in the Bubble

Well, here we are back safely enveloped in the big boring bubble which surrounds the land of my birth. Don't get me wrong - there are things that I LOVE about life in the bubble. It is very safe for one thing. So safe that Nothing Ever Happens. Which, again, is good - for example, I haven't been nearly run over by a motor vehicle since we touched down in L.A. I haven't had to outwit a pack of feral dogs, either. No unmarked manholes without their covers, come to think of it...No, the only things that seem to happen here are routine, pleasant, and enjoyable.

It is also very clean - no dingy haze clouding the horizon, no blowing black gunk out of my nose before bed. There's also very few mounds of dog poo on the sidewalk, I've noticed. Many more dogs, but all of them leashed and being followed by a pooper scooper weilding human. Limited amounts of trash strewn about although Jason and I both made the comment that there seems to be more than in the past...don't know what's up with that.

It is so very, very quiet here, as well. At night there are no car alarms, racing motor cycles, no cats-in-heat screaming bloody murder, no constant whine of cicada's wings....just birds chirping, breeze in the trees, and silence so unaccustomed that it rings in my ears and I make a dive for the TV remote just to relieve the silence.

Finally, the weather has been brilliant, as well. Cool and breezy. We're actually cold and huddled under comforters at night. The last few days before we left Taiwan were the kind where you can actually feel the little bubbles starting to form in your blood as it rises to the surface just under your skin and begins to boil. I don't sweat as much after an hour of Jazzercize (oh yes, what would a summer be without Jazzercize?) as I do just sitting in front of the computer at home.

The best part, however, has been just taking a break from school - well, not a total break - I was writing questions for a homework assignment last night as a matter of fact - but not the every day craziness of the last semester. So far, our trip has been just what the doctor ordered. I'm so happy to see everybody here. It seems impossible that for the majority of the year we are on the other side of the world. Very poor planning on my part, it seems.

In another few weeks the bubble will start to become a bit stifling but until then, I'm lovin' the bubble.

2 Comments:

  • I like the bubble, there are so many interesting things to me in the bubble. Enjoy the bubble time. I will see you soon!

    By Blogger Jason, at 2:13 PM  

  • You are no longer in the bubble. You must update this so that the people you left behind it the bubble do not suffocate from lack of information.
    I haven't even heard if your damn plane landed woman. Now write.

    By Blogger punkinsmom, at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home